Monday, March 23, 2009

In everything give thanks...

I am trying hard to live out 1 Thessalonians 5:18--"In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." This kind of goes along with a lesson from Cindi Wood's "The Frazzled Female" Bible study I did a few months ago that challenged me to take a 24 hour fast from negative thinking. I was shocked at how many negative thoughts run through my head all day! Each time I caught myself thinking negatively, I would try to replace it with something positive. Applying this to 1 Thes. 5:18 just takes it a step further. Not only should I think positively about everything, I should praise the Lord for it! So, I should thank God that I have two casts on my legs? I should praise God that I have the flu? I should thank God for middle school students who drive me crazy all day? YES, YES, and YES!

I decided last night that thankful living will be my new endeavor. I'm sure I failed much earlier than this, but the first time I realized my failure was on the way to work this morning when I made a comment about not wanting to go to work. I immediately recognized my thankless attitude and followed-up my statement with "I'm just kidding...I'm so thankful to have a job." Sure, it was forced, but it's a start!

I don't know how long I can keep this up, but here are some things for which I am truly thankful!

  • Thank you, Lord, for these casts on my legs--I can't drive, so Matt has to take me to work, and it offers us 15 minutes of good quality time together. I am going to miss it when I am able to drive again! He makes me laugh! : )
  • Thank you, Lord, that Aydan was up twice last night. It gives me the chance to snuggle and spend time with her.
  • Thank you, Lord, for my job that keeps food on the table and a roof over our heads.
  • Thank you, Lord, that I have a wonderful family that I can't wait to go home to at night!
  • Thank you, Lord, that I have co-workers who care about me, lift me up, and make me laugh!
  • And for the tough one...thank you, Lord, for giving me the flu. It allowed me to rest my mind, body, and legs!
  • Thank you, Lord, for pollen, because it means spring and beautiful weather!! : )

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful you liked motorcycles :) Look at what a gift came out of that ride :) We are the ones that are very thankful for you all.

    ReplyDelete